Comprehensive Shoulder Workshop
This 6-hour workshop, combines two incredible STOTT PILATES® workshops:
- Optimization of the Shoulder Complex
This lecture and practical session, developed by the Merrithew™ team, explores the anatomy and biomechanics involved in a normal healthy functioning shoulder girdle region then applies these fundamentals in an effort to optimize function. Theory-based work reviews the musculoskeletal components, integrated model of joint stability and functional muscle classification system within the context of the shoulder girdle region. Participants then learn how to apply the STOTT PILATES biomechanical principles of core stability, breathing and alignment to a variety of exercises and develop recognition of optimal and non-optimal movement patterns. Modifications and variations are presented using a number of small props as well as their application to individual scenarios.
- The Shoulder Girdle: Matwork for Stability & Function
Explore the normal healthy functioning of the shoulder girdle, some of the interruptions that can occur and exercise progressions to restore optimal function in this lecture/demo developed by the Merrithew™ team. First, break down the anatomy and biomechanics, available range of motion and typical movement patterns of the shoulder girdle, analyzing scapular movement, humeral movement and relevant muscular action. Next, address some common abnormal or dysfunctional movement patterns that can result from injury or overuse. And finally, discover exercise progressions done on the Mat with small props to rebuild normal muscle action and movement patterning as well as shoulder girdle exercises that can challenge and prepare for specific activities and enhance performance.
Please note that the content in the STOTT PILATES® The Shoulder Girdle: Matwork for Stability & Function workshop, is incorporated in the STOTT PILATES® Injuries & Special Populations (ISP) course.
- Learn STOTT PILATES exercises relevant to optimizing function of the shoulder girdle region
- Learn exercise goals, muscular initiation and movement sequencing to maximize outcomes
- Learn effective communication, verbal cues and imagery for performance enhancement and corrective strategies
- Understand the integrated model of joint stability and the functional muscle classification system within the context of the shoulder girdle region
- Review the functional anatomy of the shoulder girdle region
- Understand optimal function and movement patterns of shoulder girdle
- Understand common dysfunctions
- Review anatomy and muscular involvement
- Learn Mat-based exercises and progressions to optimize shoulder girdle function
- Workshop Length: 6 hours
- STOTT PILATES: 0.6
- REPS: 6.0