Ultimate Back Care
Statistically, more than half of the adult population will experience lower back pain, either acute or ongoing, at some point in their lives. Mat-based Pilates exercises can be a valuable tool in the prevention and care of lower back problems. Developed by the Merrithew™ programming team in keeping with current research, this workshop focuses on exercise modifications that can be beneficial in a number of circumstances. Major focus is placed on creating awareness and endurance of the local stabilizers of the lumbar spine and pelvic region. Although individual injuries are not covered, generalizations for specific exercise prescriptions are reviewed as a foundation for program development. Exercise choices for the prevention of back injuries and scope of practice concerns are also discussed.
- Learn why and how STOTT PILATES® exercise can be beneficial for back problems.
- Understand the STOTT PILATES Five Basic Principles of stabilization and how they relate to back problems.
- Review exercise choice and program development for care and prevention of back issues.
- Discuss recent research regarding lumbo-pelvic stabilization.
- Workshop Length: 2 hours
- CECs: REPs 2.0 | STOTT PILATES 0.2